1. When you are shopping online, you should only shop at reputable stores. If the store does not have a strong reputation, you may be seeking trouble. Many people have had their credit card and private information stolen from shopping on less than reputable websites. Be careful and protect your private information.
2. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Most of the big retailers often have promotions running which are not advertised on their home page. Performing a quick search for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
3. To help protect your credit, use only one credit card for online purchases. This will help you quickly track your spending habits when the credit card statement comes in the mail. If you notice any charges which you did not make, call the credit card company immediately and report it to them.
4. When you are searching for a place to buy a specific thing and not one of the results seem to be from familiar retailers, you should be hesitant about entering your information. Look for security signs from Verisign or Cybertrust, which means you know the retailer is not out to take your cash.
5. Do not spend too much funds on shipping. Shipping charges can really add up. Many sites offer free shipping, free freight once you spend a certain amount, or possess a coupon code that allows you to get free shipping. Instead of paying your hard earned money on shipping, look for a store that ships for free.