1. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Most of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on their home page. Carrying out a quick hunt for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
2. Always remember your finances and credit limits when shopping online. The virtual arena of online shopping has become a lot of people in serious debt. You need to look at online shopping in the same way you look at offline shopping. Never buy items online that you don't have the cash to pay for.
3. If you feel you will be making a lot of online purchases in the future, consider applying for a separate credit card to use just for these transactions. It is much easier to track all transactions when they are the only items listed about this card's transaction records. Additionally, you don't need to worry regarding your own funds being compromised, even temporarily, if you are a victim of fraud.
4. Never give out your Social Security number to an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and private information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you carry on an online store site and discover that being a requirement, do not buy everything from them and shop somewhere else.
5. Before buying from a new online retailer, do your homework on them. Check online reviews from other customers to see how it handles items like customer service, shipping, and its overall buying experience. You can also check the BBB to find out if it has any disputes and whether those disputes were resolved professionally. Try contacting the company via email and phone number, if it's posted to ask questions about its business before you buy anything.