1. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Many of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on their own home page. Doing a quick look for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
2. When you're shopping online you should be sure you are aware who you're buying from. If you're buying upon an online auction site, only purchase from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see if they are a reputable company by trying to find reviews to them online.
3. Do not forget to comparison shop when you are looking for things online. People usually do that when shopping in physical stores, but they don't think about it on the Internet. If you choose the first sale you see, you will find a chance you are going to miss out on a better deal elsewhere.
4. Once you enjoy the comfort of frequent internet shopping, it's extremely important to keep changing the passwords you use for each and every account. Every couple of weeks or so, make up a new password to your bank as well as the shopping sites directly. Use abstract words, combined with numbers and other odd characters for that strongest passwords.
5. When you are online shopping, you should only shop at reputable stores. If the store does not have a strong reputation, you may be asking for trouble. Many people have had their credit card and personal information stolen from shopping on less than reputable websites. Be careful and protect your private information.