1. A great way to stay safe when you shop online is to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email coming from a company, visit the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.
2. Before shopping from a store that is unfamiliar with you, discover what the store's reputation is like. You can usually do an internet search and discover what others think of the business. It is best to do this so you may not find out the difficult way and lose your money.
3. Before investing in a product online, find out more about shipping. If you do not find any information regarding shipping costs, contact the owner to find out if there are additional charges for shipping. If there are several shipping options, choose an affordable and reliable option to make sure you receive your product quickly.
4. When you're shopping online you should be sure you are aware who you're buying from. If you're buying with an online auction site, only purchase from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see should they be a reputable company by trying to find reviews to them online.
5. Learn more about the payment methods provided by the online store you are interested in. Most stores give you the option to pay with credit cards or with PayPal. Credit cards is a safe option as long as the store has a secure server. If you do not see any information about safety, it is advisable to go through another store.